Senior Sustainability & Energy Coordinator
Job order – J0323-1160 – Regular Full-Time
Title Senior Sustainability & Energy Coordinator
City Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada
Job Description Senior Sustainability & Energy Coordinator
The City of Port Moody has an exciting opportunity for a regular, full-time Senior Sustainability & Energy Coordinator to lead the City’s corporate and community climate action initiatives and to advance the City towards meeting the targets in the Port Moody Climate Action Plan.
The Senior Sustainability & Energy Coordinator will oversee the work of the Sustainability & Energy Coordinator, participate in external working groups to support innovation and advancement in the climate action related policy and program development and provide key support for other land use policy work that has climate action components.
Reporting to the Manager of Policy Planning, this position will focus on the implementation of climate action priorities as outlined in the Port Moody Climate Action Plan and Council’s Strategic Plan 2019-2022.
This position will plan, implement, message, monitor and report on projects and programs that advance the City’s climate leadership goals. It will also support a team in collaborating on inter-departmental projects and programs so that climate action outcomes and inter-departmental synergies are maximized.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Lead the City’s interdepartmental Climate Action Implementation Team.
- Prepare reports related to climate action projects and present to Council and at public engagement events.
- Ongoing tracking, monitoring and preparation of an annual report on the progress of implementation of the City-wide Climate Action Work Plan.
- Through coordination with other City departments, prepare funding and implementation plans for future phases of actions associated with the Climate Action Plan.
- Oversee and support for the advancement of the division’s major projects including the development ofa Zero Emissions Mobility Strategy Plan and a Corporate Facility Energy Audit.
- Act as staff liaison to the City’s Climate Action Committee.
- Act as Port Moody’s representative on climate action related regional and provincial committees and external organizations .
- Supervision of Sustainability and Energy Coordinator.
- Minimum of post-secondary degree in a climate change and sustainability field such as planning, engineering, clean energy, environmental science or related discipline with considerable progressive related experience, including a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience leading climate related policy development and implementation work. Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Energy Management credentials would be an asset, including one of the following: Certified Energy Manager under the Canadian Institute of Energy Training or BCIT SEMAC (Sustainable Energy Management Associate Certificate)
- Substantive knowledge of policies and approaches to reducing energy and carbon emissions in the built environment and corporate fleets.
- Substantive knowledge of principles, processes and practices related to corporate and community climate action policy and program development, strategic planning and federal and provincial legislations applicable to the work.
- Experience with implementing sustainability principles, including resource economics, green building, the BC Energy Step Code, alternative transportation, renewable energy, climate change mitigation and adaptation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to demonstrate excellence in leadership, problem-solving, analysis and implementation.
- Strong knowledge and experience in the areas of GHG emissions reductions, climate change adaptation, sustainable development, and policy planning. Experience in asset management is an asset.
- Proven ability to conduct comprehensive research and analysis, write and present policy papers and reports regarding complex sustainability planning and policy matters.
- Proven ability to lead sustainability, policy development and other strategic initiatives independently.
- Proven skills in the analysis of strategies and legislative tools and the ability to determine potential issues, problem solve, and manage risk.
- Ability to liaise effectively with City staff, elected officials, external agencies, and the public.
- Ability to effectively participate in and lead inter-departmental project teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication, facilitation, collaboration, conflict resolution, record keeping and report writing skills.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, Excel, database management and GIS are required.
- Experience supervising staff or consultants, including project support, work planning and effectively achieving results.
- Previous experience developing a municipal climate action plan or a municipal corporate/community energy and emissions plan is preferred.
Please note that employment with The City of Port Moody is subject to the receipt of a satisfactory police information check, as well as a satisfactory driver’s abstract.
The City of Port Moody strives to be an employer of choice, and offers an excellent benefits package as well as professional development opportunities.
Applicants are advised that it is a condition of employment with the City that a successful candidate who is not already employed by the City provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject only to human rights-based accommodation in applicable circumstances.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by PostX News and is published from a syndicated feed.)